Domestic violence has become very common in Muslim world nowadays. However it may not be said that it is less common in non Muslims. Anyways whether it is more or less common but it exists in Muslim societies regardless of the fact that they are western Muslim societies or eastern Muslim societies. Hence there is need to resolve the issue on priority basis without giving any consideration to its quantity. There are three types of violence which are usually committed against women.
1) EMOTIONAL OR MENTAL TORTURE AGAINST WOMEN:-
This is the most common type of violence committed against women. In Muslim homes it includes insulting, humiliating, verbal threats to divorce, to remarry, ignoring, dismissing, ridiculing her needs, false accusations and blaming her for everything. Mental abuse is ignored and not taken seriously in Muslim societies unless husband hit her or harm her. It causes severe psychological harm to many Muslim women.
2) PHYSICAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN:-
Physical abuse includes pushing, shoving, choking, slapping, punching, kicking, and beating; assault with a weapon; tying up; refusing to help her when she is sick or injured; physically throwing her out of the house; etc.
3) SEXUAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN:-
Following reasons may be attributed to the domestic violence.
1) CULTURAL REASONS:-
3) BECAUSE OF THEIR HIJAB:-
Some beat them because they want them to be more modern and less Islamic by removing their hijab.
QURAN AND SUNNAH:-
- They should discuss the matter of dispute between them peacefully and try to eliminate differences between them.
- If problem continues to exist then husband should inform her of his expectations in a decisive manner.
- In case if it does not work then he should leave the bed.
- Disobedience continues then representatives of both sided should try to arbitrate.
- As a last resort if he thinks that it will prevent divorce he can slap her on hand and shoulder but it should not leave a mark or scar on her body.
Anything beyond this is prohibited in Islam.